Did you just leave a comment on this website? Cool! Thanks for contributing to the community here.
But was that comment needlessly negative, intended to hurt someone’s feelings, destructive in nature, or otherwise unhelpful? If so, not cool.
Here are the guidelines and rules for commenting on JoelZaslofsky.com (because I really don’t want to modify or delete your comment):
- Real Information: We want your real name and not a corporate or a fake one. Ditto for your email address and the optional website address.
- Tone and Content: Comments are expected to be appropriate for people of all ages.
- Useless or Malicious Comments: Don’t leave comments with SEO keywords, spam, inappropriate URLs, or containing misleading information.
- Rights of Moderation: Comments will be moderated and may be edited, deleted, or not published at the sole discretion of the person/people moderating them.
- Private and Personal Information in the Body of the Comment: There will be an attempt to delete all email, physical mail, phone numbers, and any private and personal information posted in the body of any comment to protect the privacy of the commenter. Never share this private information within the blog comment.
- Blocked Commenters: Anyone who violates the spirit or letter of the guidelines may be blocked from future comments on this website. Anyone found to be impersonating another person will definitely be blocked.
- Hold Harmless: All comments within this website are the responsibility of the commenter and not the website owner, administrator, contributor, editor, or author. By submitting a comment, you agree that the comment content is your own.
- You Will Not: Post material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, hateful, or embarrassing to any other person or entity.
- If Your Comment Doesn’t Appear: If you leave a comment and it doesn’t appear in a reasonable time period – and you know that it doesn’t violate these guidelines, you may contact me for an explanation.
To sum up these guidelines and rules in plain language, I expect a basic level of respect and civility. Disagreements and constructive criticism are OK, but profanity or abusive language is never OK.
Please use your discretion. If you’re not sure whether something is over the line, odds are it is (and you shouldn’t post your comment). For all the good apples out there helping to make this a more useful community with your comments … I’m grateful!