Simplicity as Your Path Back to Love with Courtney Carver – SASM 104
Sometimes you run into a concept and think, “OK … can it really be that simple?”
“Simplicity is a way back to love.” – Courtney Carver
Now, how does that statement make you feel?
Validated? Nervous? Hopeful? Something else?
For this episode’s guest, Courtney Carver at Be More with Less, it makes her feel more alive, helpful, and inspired than just about anything else. And I must say – simplicity as a direct path to love becomes my reality more and more each day.
I’ve been on this recent kick of championing other people’s missions instead of my own and it feels darn good. And although I didn’t need to ask, Courtney has graciously let me wear the mantle of her movement.
Since she was in my city on June 29 for one of her thirty-three Tiny Warbdrobe Tour stops, I capitalized on the chance to be her local liaison and nosy friend with a recorded chat at my dinner table. What transpired was unpredictable and beautiful.
Maybe you’ll eventually get the chance to have Courtney over for dinner with your family, go on a nature walk with her, or just simply enjoy her presence. Until that day comes, enjoy our hastily-arranged and meaningfully-conducted discussion about travel, falling in love with strangers, the mechanics of simplifying, and co-creating awesome things with people you adore.
You're about to Learn ...
- How Courtney got 2,000 people to almost instantly ask her to come to their city.
- How Courtney fell in love with forty strangers in one day.
- Why starting with the mechanics of simplicity is so helpful.
- What kinds of people benefit from minimalist fashion challenge, Project 333.
- Why a Foodie Crush told Courtney to shut up and go on a Tiny Wardrobe Tour.
- Some surprising success stories from creating and maintaining a capsule wardrobe.
- How to accept people’s gifts and co-create amazing projects with them.
- How similar we all are (even if it doesn’t feel like it).
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode
- Habit Stacking, Simplifying, and Your Wakeup Call with Courtney Carver – SASM 006
- Let’s Know Things – Contextualism & China (Episode 0)
Where to Find Courtney Online
Direct Audio Download for This Episode
How to Support Me, This Show, and Our Community
It doesn't matter if you have thirty seconds or thirty minutes. And it's all good if you support financially, mentally, or another way that feels most appropriate.
If you're already a Smart and Simple Matters listener, get some extra gratitude when you click here to leave me a short iTunes review and help our message spread even further (it's a huge help!).
If you want to help me, the folks who depend upon my creations, and add your support to countless other awesome people in a unique way, click here for the Support page and rock our worlds!
Timestamps and Topics
- [08:13] The importance of travel throughout Courtney’s life
- [10:28] How the Good Life Project Immersion program changed Courtney
- [14:27] The shift to simplicity as a way back to love
- [19:20] Courtney’s role as “where to” guide
- [21:23] Why Courtney took Project 333 on the road for her Tiny Wardrobe Tour
- [27:47] A surprising success story from Project 333
- [30:10] Why co-creation can be more fulfilling than “doing it all on your own”
- [35:24] How similar we all are (even if it doesn’t seem like it)
Extra Gratitude and Special Mentions
Here’s an extra dose of love to Chasing Henry on iTunes who recently wrote a review of the show with a subject of “Sweet sassy molassy!” (that made me happy):
“Listening to Smart and Simple Matters is like having one of those late night, existential talks with your best friend – minus the hangover. Joel explores some truly profound topics with honesty, humor, and a genuineness that is contagious.
I dare you to listen to a few episodes because it really will change your life in a very good way. My dabbles in minimalism have evolved into the start of my very own personal renaissance because of the inspiration I’ve received from listening. Thank you, Joel, for creating such a gift to the world at large week after week. You rock.”
Great googly moogaly, Chasing Henry! You and what you shared are tree-mend-us! I receive that and I know others appreciate it as well.
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
I'm Grateful for Your Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate an honest iTunes review right here. Every single rating and review is a huge help, lets others find the show more easily, and generates a ton of gratitude!
Here are the four quick steps to leave an iTunes review (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Click here to visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page.
- Click the blue button on the left labeled "View in iTunes" below the show cover art.
- When iTunes loads, click the navigation tab labeled "Ratings and Reviews" and then click the "Write a Review" button underneath the "Customer Reviews" heading.
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't give it five stars.
Thanks again for your time and attention! And if you have someone or something you’d like me to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.