Note: Start Investing with $100 is no longer available as of October 10, 2014.
I normally start the show notes by giving you some context about the Smart and Simple Matters (SASM) episode.
However, most of that has already been provided in the Start Investing with $100 announcement article.
I spent a ton of time turning this investing specific episode into what actually is a free crash course to Start Investing with $100.
And although 54 minutes of audio might seem like a lot at first, once you listen, you'll understand how much is packed into every last crevice of this episode. I'm actually amazed this didn't turn out to be two hours!
Odds are your brain, pen, and fingers will be trying to take notes so fast that you'll wish I didn't try to do so much in one show. If you're struggling to keep pace, check out the special edition of the transcript where I have a ton of links to resources, definitions, and more.
I'm proud of this episode and confident enough of its value to say that, if you spend only an hour this year getting educated about investing, make it this hour of Smart and Simple Matters.
What You'll Learn
Gosh, where to begin. This is just a partial list to whet your appetite.
In this episode you'll learn about:
- The considerations you must make before investing your first dime.
- The simple – sometimes comically easy – five-step process to select an investment company.
- Why investing increases more than just your financial health.
- How to approach investing with fresh eyes and shed bad habits.
- Why I'm a heretic and disliked by most of the investment industry.
- My surprising answers to the question, “what do I invest in?”
- How the value of your investments can skyrocket…but you still lose money.
- The online course Start Investing with $100 and how it can help.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode Include:
- Resources: Investopedia
- Investment Screeners and Tools: Morningstar, TD Ameritrade, Yahoo Finance, Financial Visualizations
- [03:06] Why I'm doing an investing specific episode
- [08:40] The sequence and considerations to getting started
- [16:28] Overview of picking an investment account structure
- [20:29] Hey Joel! What should I invest in? A.K.A. investing principles.
- [40:14] Socially and environmentally conscious investing
- [42:11] How to select an investment company
- [49:34] Key details about Start Investing with $100
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
- Click here to download the transcript
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.