James Clear is all about helping people be healthy.
And after digging into JamesClear.com and listening to him speak, I have no doubt that his movement is on solid ground. Not only that, but he's successful in helping people achieve and maintain their own version of optimal health.
This shouldn't be a surprise. The communities exploding around fitness and health – online and offline – have a number of stellar people rocking their niche within this massive movement.
But as you'll find, his concept of health is very different from the traditional mindset. After listening to James talk, you might be convinced that not getting your butt in gear (my words, not his) is a sure way to limit your happiness, health, curiosity, and ability to connect with others.
Now, some of you may already know James or have seen his words and photos online. His creations have been featured on US News & World Report, Travel & Leisure, Yahoo, Lifehacker, and the Flickr homepage.
But he offers us a slice of his philosophy and resources you won't find anywhere else. Just from our chat, here are some words I'm reflecting on:
When you push yourself physically, it reveals what you're made of mentally … and you solidify your sense of self-worth because you understand exactly what you can do. – James Clear
The people you surround yourself with is not a business decision. It's a life decision. – James Clear
To see James' abundance mindset even better, he is the first guest on Smart and Simple Matters that offered to package up the resources we spoke about (meaning I didn't have to). Ummm … awesome! Thanks for doing that, James! Everyone can find those resources you've packaged up just for the SASM community at JamesClear.com/VoS.
One more thing before we get into what you'll learn from our chat. Check out what this impressive fella has to say about the beauty of spreadsheets:
That spreadsheet's always there for me to look at and say, ‘You know what? You're still making progress every week. So there's no reason to stop now … The numbers don't lie.'
Are you stoked yet? I know I am!
What You'll Learn
In this episode you'll learn about:
- When to watch out for “getting so healthy that you're unhealthy.”
- How to be your family's first entrepreneur…and rock it right out of the gate.
- Where you could find the seeds of curiosity, exploration, and experimentation.
- What James would have happily turned down a million dollars to continue doing.
- Why James practices intermittent fasting … and how.
- The link between spreadsheets and doing 100 push-ups in a row (seriously).
- The abundance mindset and not being afraid to give.
- What James was born and bred to be.
- Why relationships are the ultimate form of capital (even more than money and time).
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode Include:
- Websites: JamesClear.com, PassivePanda.com, HappierHuman.com
- Resources: James special package for Smart and Simple Matters listeners, The Value of Simple Declaration, The Refuge of Simplicity
- Other Articles Discussed: 24 Networking Tips That Actually Work
- [02:59] The seeds of awesomeness (a.k.a. stories from James' youth)
- [05:54] The mission and cause that's bigger than any one person
- [15:41] Why James practices intermittent fasting and how
- [18:43] Measuring your progress in physical training and overall health
- [22:32] What an “abundance mindset” looks like to James
- [30:28] Being a practitioner of happiness and gratitude
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.