Every once in a while a Smart and Simple Matters listener will contact me and say something like this:
“Joel, you just gotta have person X on your show. He or she rocks, would be a great fit with your whole simplify, organize, and be money wise dealio, and wants to geek out on spreadsheets with you!”
OK, I may have made up that last part about spreadsheets. But the rest is legit.
This scenario played out when Jeremey Donovan – fan and friend of the show – suggested I bring Ryan Avery on. I wasn't sure how he would fit on SASM at first, but I was sold after reading his blog post, How to Be a Speaker.
Ryan is more than just the guy who won the 2012 World Championship of Public Speaking over 30,000 other people. He's a fantastic storyteller with get stories to tell. For instance, you'll hear all about how he grew up with little financially, but had a whole lotta love and ingenuity going for him.
He's also super passionate about helping people communicate in a way that improves their relationships, business, and capacity to simply be a good human being.
Put on your headphones and crank this one up!
(Whether or not you want to learn how to be a better hugger or understand the full power of the hug).
You're About to Learn About …
- Why you don't need a million dollars to live a million dollar life.
- How getting fired the day after your wedding can be an amazing opportunity.
- What happens when you shower a child with love instead of money.
- How to give 10% of your lifestyle away for maximum benefit.
- Ryan's four pillars to stay true to his core values.
- Why Ryan and I are “hug first, ask questions later” guys.
- How to communicate the way people want you to (not how you think they want).
- Why marriage is so important … even for people that don't want it.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- [04:53] Ryan's seeds of awesomeness
- [10:24] How to live a good life
- [16:56] How Ryan budgets (or doesn't)
- [20:55] The four pillars of Ryan's core values
- [27:51] Why communication skills are essential in any relationship
- [31:36] The definition and meaning of love
- [36:40] Why being a “hug first, ask questions later” guy is valuable
- [39:13] Why marriage is so important
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via Feedburner
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.