Clicky

SASM 042 - Experience Curating, Part 2: The FAOCAS Framework and Tools

Experience Curating

Note: This episode is part two of two in the Experience Curating series. Listen to SASM 041 first to get the most out of this one.

*****

Sometimes, you just gotta let loose.

This episode of Smart and Simple Matters was one of those times.

My brain said “Let ‘er rip!” to a bunch of things like:

  • The FAOCAS box analogy (a.k.a. the inspiration for my book cover).
  • Two initial testimonials for Experience Curating's grooviness.
  • How to use awesome tools of the trade like Evernote and LibraryThing.
  • Why I love Excel so much … and still would even if I didn't curate with it.

I also expanded on items like why I live/love this quote so much:

Without a filter, a man is just chaos walking. – Patrick Ness

[Tweet that]

But as much as I enjoy the “why” and “what” of Experience Curating, I realize that some people just want to know how to do the damn thing.

So this episode is all about how to get your Experience Curating on!

How about it? Have you already gotten your Experience Curating on?

You're about to Learn …

  • How to spend 0.1% of your time maximizing the other 99.9%.
  • Why Experience Curating is descriptive, not prescriptive.
  • Who owns your Facebook experiences … and it's not only you.
  • Why FAOCAS is like a box (a seriously awesome one).
  • What the building blocks, road signs, glue, and river of Experience Curating are.
  • The simplicity of the “Everywhere Doctrine” and how to use it.
  • How to avoid the “Click here! I'm awesome!” trap.
  • Why Evernote rocks (and sucks) for curating.
  • What the killer apps of spreadsheets are.

Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:

Topics

  • [02:42] Caveats and quick notes
  • [06:10] Introducing: The FAOCAS framework
  • [08:05] “F” is for Filter
  • [13:46] “A” #1 is for Archive
  • [22:10] “O” is for Organize
  • [31:30] “C” is for Contextualize
  • [34:15] “A” #2 is for Access
  • [35:38] “S” is for Share
  • [45:38] The major curating tool decisions
  • [53:36] Specific curating tools and how to use them
  • [1:07:08] Episode recap

Special Thanks

A big-time special thanks to my wife Melinda for giving me the freedom to express myself in funky ways. And a major shout out to Erin Kurup – the idea architect for Experience Curating – who helped to turn 36,000+ words of crap into something worth reading.

Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show

If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.

Transcript

The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).

I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!

If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!

If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):

  1. Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
  2. Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
  3. When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
  4. Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.

And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.

Shares

Pin It on Pinterest