Here's a quandary:
Is it possible to be positive when you're experiencing zero?
Brook McAlary of Slow Your Home thinks so. And I agree.
Brooke joined me for a Smart and Simple Matters episode from her home in the Blue Mountains just outside of Sydney, Australia. She's the author of the popular Destination: Simple and the publisher of the rising digital magazine, Romper.
We didn't directly say this, but Brooke and I basically explain why we often go around chasing meaning, mindfulness, and impact when it can instead be found by slowing down. In fact, we all benefit not just from slowing down, but even when coming to a dead stop.
I spend a lot of time out in the garden or sitting in the sun [doing nothing]. And that's helps. It grounds me. It tells me what's real and what doesn't change. – Brooke McAlary
I've been a big fan of Brooke and her work for two years, so it's a pleasure to introduce her to a new audience that will benefit from what she writes and says.
Pro tip: Listen to the end of the episode to discover how to get a free copy of Issue X – the very first Romper issue – for a limited time. Once you start reading Brooke's stuff and slowing down, you won't want to miss a thing she does.
You're about to Learn …
- Why asking for help is a sign of strength (and saves lives).
- How to get over perfectionism and disappointing others.
- Why Brooke and I are big fans of “zero.”
- How she willfully chose anxiety … and then willfully decided not to be anxious.
- What money resources will help you rock at personal finance.
- How to create a default mindset of positivity and intentionality.
- The surprising history of simple-living … in one minute.
- Why each person needs to define what “simple enough” is.
- How to empty your mind to sleep better.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- Blog Posts:
- [05:45] Brooke's seeds of awesomeness
- [10:03] Breaking lifetime habits
- [13:55] How different people express gratitude
- [19:20] Reducing debt and staying out of it
- [25:35] Details about Brooke's digital magazine, Romper
- [29:08] Brooke's history lesson on simplicity
- [34:24] What Brooke does to stay calm
- [36:03] How to empty your mind to sleep better
- [38:57] How to get a free copy of Romper, Issue X
How to Get Romper Issue X
As of March 5, 2014, the promo code of “simple” is working. Here's how to get your copy
- Go to Romper.
- Click an image on the home page.
- Click the “I want this!” button.
- Enter your email address and the promo code of “simple” (without the quotes) in the “Offer code (optional)” field.
- Click the “Get!” button.
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.