Do you remember Cecile Andrews from Smart and Simple Matters episode 052?
Probably not … but that's not her fault. She was only speaking for about a minute during our simple living roundtable chat due to some technical issues.
But now? Now you're going to hear a ton of great stuff from Cecile. She's back with me for a one-on-one conversation about where we harness happiness, how simplicity study circles work, and a whole lotta laughter.
She's a joyful person building joyful communities for a joyful world. In other words, Cecile – a community leader who has been featured on CBS, NPR, and PBS and has some acclaimed slow/simple living books – is a real joy to listen to.
Here's what I mean:
If we get people to work toward a joyful community, they don't want to go shopping anymore. They're not concerned with getting to the top. – Cecile Andrews
And here's another bite of wisdom:
When people experience being cared for, they are able to care [too]. And if they can care for their own species, maybe they will care for the rest of the species. – Cecile Andrews
Give this episode a listen and you'll understand why people have been seeking Cecile's simple insight for decades.
You're about to Learn …
- How the 4 “C”s of happiness can change everything for you.
- Why study circles are a barn raising (and not a battle).
- What Cecile has in common with Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rosa Parks.
- The tragic event that caused Cecile to take life seriously.
- Why the simple life is an examined life.
- The one book that changed it all for Cecile.
- How she got labeled a “hedonist” of the simplicity movement.
- Why Cecile knows that any topic brings you back to simplicity.
- How GNH (gross national happiness) could replace GDP someday.
- Why I'm standing in the longest grocery store line from now on.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- Podcast Episodes:
- [05:05] Cecile's seeds of awesomeness
- [09:19] Why Cecile enjoys life and became a “hedonist” of simplicity
- [12:40] Why simple living has nothing to do with self-deprivation
- [16:56] Study circles and how they work
- [29:25] The different forms of simple living and happiness
- [34:06] Cecile's involvement and support of Transition Towns
- [39:31] What it means to live slow
- [48:54] How you can connect with Cecile
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.