How to Ask Better Community Questions: It’s as Easy as ABCD with Cormac Russell – SASM 127
You're about to Learn ...
- Why our unexpressed gifts can do tremendous harm.
- How an institutionalized five-year-old changed Cormac’s life direction.
- Why community makes a better verb than a noun.
- How to get past the sense that someone’s either trying to sell you something or sell you out.
- The two words that simply summarize Asset-Based Community Development.
- How to have conversations that respect the past and present, but aren’t held captive by either.
- When to show up as a host or guest in someone’s life.
- How to ask better questions about and within your communities.
- Why consumer culture is actually an anti-culture.
- Why emphasizing discoverables is better than focusing on deliverables.
- How Asset-Based Community Driven Efforts may be the next evolution of ABCD.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode
- Why World Domination Summit Has More Magic than 100 Unicorns (WDS2014 Recap) – SASM054
- Why and How to Run an Offers and Needs Market – SASM 112
- The Good Life Conversation
- The Money Is the Bait, Not the Fish
- ABCD, Touchstone Seven: Implementation
- Bring People Together
Where to Find Cormac Online
Direct Audio Download for This Episode
How to Support Me, This Show, and Our Community
It doesn't matter if you have thirty seconds or thirty minutes. And it's all good if you support financially, mentally, or another way that feels most appropriate.
If you're already a Smart and Simple Matters listener, get some extra gratitude when you click here to leave me a short iTunes review and help our message spread even further (it's a huge help!).
If you want to help me, the folks who depend upon my creations, and add your support to countless other awesome people in a unique way, click here for the Support page and rock our worlds!
Timestamps and Topics
- [03:17] How I think about community and my sense of belonging
- [12:41] Cormac’s seeds of awesomeness
- [19:23] How being an orphan informs Cormac’s ABCD work
- [24:23] How Cormac’s background in psychology and “community care” led him to ABCD
- [29:31] The essence of ABCD
- [33:30] Community as a verb, not a noun
- [39:38] The tension between trust and privacy
- [52:02] The limits of ABCD and discoverables over deliverables
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
I'm Grateful for Your Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate an honest iTunes review right here. Every single rating and review is a huge help, lets others find the show more easily, and generates a ton of gratitude!
Here are the four quick steps to leave an iTunes review (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Click here to visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page.
- Click the blue button on the left labeled "View in iTunes" below the show cover art.
- When iTunes loads, click the navigation tab labeled "Ratings and Reviews" and then click the "Write a Review" button underneath the "Customer Reviews" heading.
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't give it five stars.
Thanks again for your time and attention! And if you have someone or something you’d like me to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.