Organizing can be horrific. Painful. Disorienting.
Organizing can also bring joy, order, and be a ton of fun.
How you feel about organizing and how you do it is framed by who's got your back in the battle of overwhelming organization tips.
But I know one woman with organizing pointers more solid than a block of titanium. Her name is Cassie Tillett and she's a heck of a Professional Organizer.
Cassie is also the President of the Association of Professional Declutterers and Organisers United Kingdom (APDO-UK), a wonderfully resourceful and resilient lady, and creator of Working Order.
You definitely want to hear her thoughts on what she does when the going gets tough (hint: the tough get going… but that's not all).
Besides a lively, chucklerific chat, Cassie also confirms why something I've been saying for so long is so true:
A tool or a system is only as good as your ability to access it.
Are you ready to hear how a fifteen year pro navigates the emotional minefield of sentimental items? Can you handle some simple thought experiments that can totally changes how you view your “stuff?”
Put the headphones on, start getting dinner ready, and don't worry about staying awake. Quality organization tips, strategies for preparing for emergencies, and bad humor (mine, not hers) are comin' your way!
What You'll Learn
As if groovy organization tips and entertaining banter wasn't enough, in this episode you'll learn about:
- How to keep everything you need within arm's reach.
- The hidden problems with items that aren't beautiful or useful.
- How an organized garden shed can lead to your calling.
- What it takes to have a productive “Sentiment-fest.”
- How to always have enough capacity to prepare for emergencies.
- Why contacting a Professional Organizer might be your smartest move.
- The one rule you must know when managing sentimental items.
- How to stop your friends from perpetrating hoaxes (intentionally or unintentionally).
- What the true meaning of “Working Order” is.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- [06:14] The seeds of awesomeness
- [13:44] How Cassie uses her professional discipline to overcome physical challenges
- [25:18] Skill building, time management, and other things you don't think a Professional Organizer would do
- [30:42] Detaching (and valuing) the sentimental items
- [39:10] How to be proactive in organizing
- [42:58] How Cassie curates her existence (geek style)
- [46:06] Why a home that “works” is more important than a home that's minimalist
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.