I've only known Warren and Betsy Talbot for three months. But I already want them to be my life-long friends.
There's just something about their individual and combined personalities. They have this magnetic pull – you know, the one you can only explain when you experience it – and have reeled me in (intentionally or not).
Their past five years have been anything but conventional. It began with the dream of quitting cushy corporate gigs and has evolved into traveling the world with a backpack a piece. The full story is definitely worth a read.
I've been listening to their podcast – An Action Plan for Dreamers – ever since I read their guest post on Courtney Carver's Be More with Less. And five minutes into the first episode, I knew I needed you to hear them on Smart and Simple Matters.
These two know fun. Warren and Betsy live and breathe simplicity. They just have a dynamism you gotta experience for yourself.
And guess what? I totally saw pre-personal renaissance Joel when Betsy said this during the episode:
There is no one out there who doesn't know how to dream. But there [are] a shortage of people that will actually take action and make [those dreams] happen. – Betsy Talbot
No doubt about it: more people are making their dreams happen – simplicity related or otherwise – thank to the terrific Talbot team. So crank this episode up and enjoy it to the very end.
You won't want to miss the details on the major Declutter Clinic discount (affiliate link).
You're about to Learn:
- Why wearing a sock tie and sweater vest to middle school can make you stronger.
- How to make a real deadline and take immediate action on it.
- The benefits of doubling down on your important relationships and …
- … How to let go of relationships on life support.
- Why you can never stop budgeting (hint: it's sexy).
- How to save $11,000 to visit Antarctica.
- Why using the same tool consistently is more important than the tool itself.
- How to get rid of “it.”
- The steps to book Warren and Betsy to declutter your home in-person.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dream Save Do
- Getting Rid of It
- Strip Off Your Fear
- Warren and Betsy's Podcast, An Action Plan for Dreamers
- An Action Plan for Dreamers, Episode 37 with Joel Zaslofsky
- [05:30] Betsy's seeds of awesomeness
- [06:45] Warren's seeds of awesomeness
- [12:14] Why Warren and Betsy walked away from it all
- [19:32] How to let go of relationships on life support
- [25:33] The low tech/high tech combination for income and expense tracking
- [30:22] How to set a deadline (and hit them)
- [37:20] Who Declutter Clinic is for and how it helps
- [40:30] How crazy is Joel
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.