Insult World Domination Summit (WDS) in front of 99% of past attendees and you're in for a battle.
Back in 2012, I didn't understand why WDS had a cult-like following. My friends who had attended absolutely raved about their experience. Bloggers and podcasters I respected implored me to go experience the magic myself.
I was intrigued, but skeptical. “This WDS thing can't possibly be that awesome … can it?” I needed to find out for myself.
So I scored a ticket to WDS 2013: one of the top ten experiences of my life. After landing in Portland, Oregon on July 4, 2013, I almost instantly got “it.”
But WDS 2014 couldn't possibly live up to the astronomical expectations I built up … could it?
In a word: yes! In four words: a thousand times, yes!
Last year, I gave you a blog post recapping my World Domination Summit takeaways. I knew I couldn't' keep a blog post under 5,000 words this year, so you're getting a bonus Smart and Simple Matters episode instead.
Ready to saddle up and discover why WDS is pure magic? After you've listened, you might be itching to join the community, adventure, and service around the only event I couldn't imagine not going to.
You're about to Learn …
- Why 3,000 people can't wait for World Domination Summit each year.
- How one woman helps terminally ill children channel their creativity.
- If “The Strider” asked me to hitch her 56 square foot tiny house to her truck.
- How the SimpleREV workshop leaders made my heart sing.
- 4 must-eat Portland food stops (from Paleo to vegan).
- Who gave me the best hug out of hundreds.
- Why “I'm in” for anything with the letters LYL.
- Which David Cameron I enjoy the most.
- Why you need to learn the value of Ho'oponopono.
- How imperfect action leads to amazing opportunity.
- Ways to measure success that don't involve money, power, or status.
- How “The Great Namaste” broke a Guinness World Record for yoga.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- World Domination Summit
- Dee Williams (PAD Tiny Houses)
- Jadah Sellner (Simple Green Smoothies)
- A.J. Jacobs
- Elly Klein
- Tom Frank (College Info Geek)
- Jeff Reifman
- Saul of Hearts
- Dave and Sheryl Balthrop (Simple Life Reboot)
- Mike Vardy (Productivityist)
- Brooks Duncan (DocumentSnap)
- Ethan Waldman (TheTinyHouse.net and Cloud Coach)
- Scott Dinsmore (Live Your Legend)
- Leah Hynes and Nazrin Murphie (Rock Your Purpose Live)
- Emilie Wapnick (Puttylike / Puttytribe)
- Jeff Goins (Goins, Writer)
- Andy Traub (Take Permission)
- Joshua Becker (Becoming Minimalist)
- Steven Shewach (Bogus Belief Busters)
- Tyler Tervooren (Riskology)
- Michelle Russell (Enoughist)
- Josh Becker (I Simply Am)
- Rob Cooper (Former Fat Guy)
- Kelly Scotti (Flying Dragon Wellness)
- Christy Marek (Wonder of All Things)
- David Delp (Pilot Fire)
- Scott Berkun
- Aaron Kennard (Truly Amazing Life)
- Ben Fanning (The Burnout Specialist)
- Jonathan Fields
- Kristoffer Carter “KC” (This Epic Life)
- [04:27] The World Domination Summit context
- [08:02] The magical, radical, and practical people of WDS
- [37:04] The dynamite public speakers on the big stage
- [45:19] The event production and surprises
- [53:05] The Portland, OR experience (and food)
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.