You're doing something right when you get Oprah, Martha Stewart, and The New York Times' attention.
And that's exactly what Andrew Mellen, my guest on this Smart and Simple Matters episode, has done.
But before there was his best-selling book, Unstuff Your Life!, or his Unstuff U classes, Andrew was just a provocative actor with a messy history.
So how does someone go from being a disorganized kid to being labeled “The Most Organized Man in America?” He's going to tell you the vivid story and help you manage what he calls the “stuff behind the stuff.”
This episode is as packed with insight as the average house, garage, and cabinet are packed with junk. For example:
There's nothing that exempts you from having a meaningful, simple, organized life. – Andrew Mellen
CEO or artist? The Department of Education or a homeschooler? Andrew has you covered as a man who knows what it means – and takes – to simplify your life.
Let us help you release your stuff, remove some stress, and move about with a newfound freedom.
You're about to Learn …
- How to use organizing to connect with what matters most to you.
- The three simple rules behind Unstuff Your Life!
- How to get relief from the time, space, and stuff crunch.
- What you might have in common with a Nobel Prize winner.
- Why you need to resolve the “stuff behind the stuff.”
- How to remove the physical obstacles to sustainable joy.
- Why fewer rules are better than more rules (as a general rule).
- How to carefully use language to craft a new story of your possessions.
- Why Andrew doesn't care what “enough” looks like to you … if you achieve stuff equilibrium.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- Unstuff U®
- The Digital Launch Playbook
- [06:21] Andrew's seeds of awesomeness
- [08:45] The long path to becoming an organizing expert
- [14:10] The various pains that Andrew relieves
- [18:39] The stories that people bring to their “stuff”
- [23:48] Unstuff Your Life with The Organizational Triangle framework
- [29:10] The skills of Unstuff U®
- [34:57] Why anyone can get and stay organized
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.