How meaningful or fun would an experience have to be that you risk your bladder exploding for it?
What's it like to plan, organize, and host a bootstrapped, non-commercial, sponsor-free event for fifty-five amazing simple-living enthusiasts from across North America?
I'm giving you the behind-the-scenes tour of the SimpleREV 2015 event, so c'mon inside!
You won't just get my perspective as the event co-organizer and co-host, though. You'll hear about the amazing team of volunteers who brought us together for a truly transformational two days.
Even if you don't attend, organize, or host events, I'll recap some universal benefits to finding your people and meaningfully connecting with them in this episode.
Here's what I have in store for you from our SimpleREV team:
- Insight about the fantastic participants and the kinds of conversations authentic “weirdos” have.
- The what, why, and how of our event activities – including workshops, talks, and peer-driven action like our Personal Introspective.
- What it means – and what it takes – to run an event at the crossroads of community and simplicity.
- How people are transformed when they intimately connect with their right people.
- Some simple ways that you can get involved with SimpleREV.
We’re still processing what the event meant to each of us and our entire community. But the early results are in from two participants:
I left SimpleREV 2015 stronger, more informed, and more excited about life than I ever have been before! Honestly, the best weekend of my life so far. I am not exaggerating. – Michelle
SimpleREV 2015 was the truest sense of community I’ve ever felt and it was beautiful to experience. I hope you have the opportunity to experience something like this in your lifetime. It changes everything. – Magnus
You’re about to hear all about the stories, resources, and hugs during October 2-3, 2015 in Minneapolis, MN. Press play now and get ready for a whole lotta simple!
You're about to Learn …
- Why we loved sticking 241 Post It Notes on a wall (and what we did with them).
- How one small clothes donation quickly changed a family's life.
- Why you can't get a positive answer from a negative question.
- The #1 thing that our participants wanted at SimpleREV 2015.
- How to rock a bootstrapped, non-commercial, sponsor-free event.
- Why we messed with a winning 2014 formula and made 2015 way different.
- One big way we short-changed our participants (even though they didn't know it).
- How to run an event where every participant is equal and everyone contributes big-time.
- Why we closed with a “Personal Introspective” and what people gained from it.
- How SimpleREV helps if you feel like you've been shot out of a cannon.
- How to build a community around a community event.
- Why I'm proud that fourteen people didn't pee for four hours.
- How we dominated Huggr once again.
- Two problems that one participant would love to have all the time.
- Great ways for you to get involved with SimpleREV.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode:
- Podcast Episodes:
- How 55 People Got Simple, Became Friends, and Owned Huggr (SimpleREV 2014 Part 1) – SASM 059
- Raw and Rocking Stories to Help You Simplify (SimpleREV 2014 Part 2) – SASM 061
- How Rich I Am, What Angers Me, and the Mess I'm Withholding from You – SASM 081
- Hear That? It’s Simple and Better Quality Time with Your Kids from Chris and Sarah Wehkamp – SASM062
- The Dangers of “The Twitch” and How to Stop Yours with Anthony Ongaro – SASM 069
- Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
- Anthony Ongaro on Break the Twitch – SimpleREV, Minimalism & The Quickest Way To Happiness (With Special Guest)
- Goodbye Busy: 3 Ways to Reconnect with What Matters Most (Webinar with Courtney Carver)
- SimpleREV 2015 Blog Post Recaps:
- Melissa Cave on Rethink Motherhood – Coming Down from the SimpleREV High
- Claire Jones on The Positivity Workshop – The Benefits of Getting Out Your Comfort Zone
- Lisa Luken on Simple Joy Living – Reflections on SimpleREV 2015
- Jeff Sandquist on Coffee, Bacon & Books – SimpleREVflections 2015: Part 1
- Jeff Sandquist on Coffee, Bacon & Books – SimpleREVflections 2015: Part 2
- Magnus Skonberg on MagnusSkonberg.com – Without Concrete Expectations
- Other Referenced Blog Posts
Timestamps and Topics
- [04:00] Welcome to the main event: SimpleREV 2015
- [11:08] Insight about and from our fantastic participants
- [26:41] The who, what, how, and why of all our main activities
- [41:57] But wait … there's more (bonus activities)
- [45:42] The factory tour of organizing and hosting the event
- [51:10] SimpleREV story time and participant contributions
- [58:36] How to get involved with SimpleREV
Extra Gratitude and Special Mentions
We have two new patrons for this episode, Rox and Erika, so give it up for that generous combo!
It doesn't really matter whether you support at a hundred pennies or a hundred dollars because I'm grateful for any and all support. But I want to specially thank Erika as our first $3 / episode patron and I'm hopeful there will be more of us willing to step it up.
Because sweet sassy molassy, you make me happy!
You make Rox happy, too. She took a picture of herself listening to SASM in the wild and we get to enjoy her alpacas, garden, and smile.
How to Support Me, This Show, and Our Community
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
If you're not already subscribed for automatic notifications of a new show, please do so with one of the links below.
- Click here to subscribe with iTunes
- Click here to subscribe via RSS
- Click here to subscribe via Stitcher
The transcript will not be available until I find a new transcriptionist (if you know someone good, let me know).
I'm Grateful for Your iTunes Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate when people go to the iTunes page and leave an honest review. Every single review is a huge help and received with gratitude!
If you want to make me incredibly thankful, like the people who have recently left an iTunes review, here are the four quick steps (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/value-simple-podcast-joel/id545208089
- Click the blue button on the left labeled “View in iTunes” below the cover art of the show
- When iTunes loads, scroll down below the “Customer Reviews” section and click the link labeled “Write a Review”
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't rate it as a five star show.
And if you have someone or something you'd like us to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.