When “Being” Your Way into Action Is Better Than Thinking with Julie Gray – SASM 115
I used to think the answer to pretty much anything was “try harder.”
Does the girl you're smitten with not share your feelings? Try harder. Are the tens/hundreds/thousands of people who listen to your podcast not enough? Try harder.
Try harder didn't get me anywhere then and, it turns out, it's crappy advice in most situations.
So what can we do instead? My guest for this episode, Julie Gray, has something to say about that:
“We think – and our society tells us – that we have to think our way into doing and so much of our beautiful doing is just doing itself. Life is being lived through us all the time. We just don't notice.” – Julie Gray
And because I'm generally done trying harder, I'll just invite you to press play on this episode and hope you feel my gratitude alongside your time and attention.
You're about to Learn ...
- How to create systems so you can work less and contribute more.
- Why stress management seems so stressful.
- How to tap into the power of your innate intelligence.
- How to access the space beyond thought.
- How to know whether you have “Always Available Syndrome.”
- Why time management involves managing other people's anxieties.
- The practical wisdom behind the cliché “don't believe everything you think.”
- The big question that Julie can't stop asking herself.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode
- A.J. Jacobs at World Domination Summit 2014 (it's hilarious)
- How To Make Stress Management Less Stressful
Where to Find Julie Online
Direct Audio Download for This Episode
How to Support Me, This Show, and Our Community
It doesn't matter if you have thirty seconds or thirty minutes. And it's all good if you support financially, mentally, or another way that feels most appropriate.
If you're already a Smart and Simple Matters listener, get some extra gratitude when you click here to leave me a short iTunes review and help our message spread even further (it's a huge help!).
If you want to help me, the folks who depend upon my creations, and add your support to countless other awesome people in a unique way, click here for the Support page and rock our worlds!
Timestamps and Topics
- [04:27] Julie's seeds of awesomeness
- [08:46] Taking the team approach to family life
- [11:03] How to create systems so you can work less and contribute more.
- [20:41] Making time management work for you
- [25:25] The role of thinking and what happens when we go beyond thought
- [31:19] How to tap into the power of your innate intelligence
- [39:03] The big question that Julie can't stop asking herself
- [46:36] An intuitive way to make life work for you
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
I'm Grateful for Your Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate an honest iTunes review right here. Every single rating and review is a huge help, lets others find the show more easily, and generates a ton of gratitude!
Here are the four quick steps to leave an iTunes review (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Click here to visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page.
- Click the blue button on the left labeled "View in iTunes" below the show cover art.
- When iTunes loads, click the navigation tab labeled "Ratings and Reviews" and then click the "Write a Review" button underneath the "Customer Reviews" heading.
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't give it five stars.
Thanks again for your time and attention! And if you have someone or something you’d like me to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.