Why and How to Run an Offers and Needs Market – SASM 112
The first question I always get is, “What the heck is an Offers and Needs Market?”
That's normally after I tell people that I run Offers and Needs Markets (OANM) and that they're fantastic for community-building, simple-living, and good ol' fashioned fun.
At its core, an OANM is about discovering, elevating, and distributing gifts within a community. These gifts become the foundation for connection, a beacon of hospitality, and make a real difference in the lives of an OANM's participants.
In other words:
“Each gift exchange builds a connection, more connections create meaningful relationships, and the collective relationships strengthen existing communities. It highlights what people can already do and provides a positive way to short-circuit the ‘But … we don’t have any resources!' narrative.”
I'll explain why and how to run an OANM in this episode and, at a minimum, you'll experience these benefits if you make your own OANM happen:
- It reduces consumption. By making the most of existing assets, people don’t need to buy something that they can access when they need it.
- It reduces waste. When someone else’s surplus or gift can become another’s resource, less material and time goes to waste.
- It builds and enhances personal connections and community. Knowing who is doing what, who has access to what, and who knows who are vital for getting things done.
- It’s a simple, fast, and inexpensive way to resource a movement because it focuses on what already exists and is positive in nature.
- It’s mostly (or completely) non-commercial. OANMs don’t typically involve financial transactions.
Whether you think before or after you listen, consider these questions that Peter Block asks in his great book, Community: The Structure of Belonging:
- What gift do you have that nobody knows about?
- What's the positive feedback you receive that still surprises you?
- What's the gift you have that you don't fully acknowledge?
Let the Offers and Needs Market match-making begin!
You're about to Learn ...
- Five simple, powerful benefits of an Offers and Needs Market in any community.
- Why your friends, family, and neighbors are counting on you to own your gifts.
- How to elevate your own and other people's gifts.
- Examples of the inspiring, hilarious, or practical offers and needs I've seen.
- My favorite OANM match yet and how it helped a whole family for months.
- The core difference between needs-based and asset-based community development.
- The essential prep and housekeeping notes of an OANM.
- How ABCD relates to OANM (it makes total sense when you listen).
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode
- The Asset-Based Community Development Institute
- The Puttytribe
- Post Growth Institute
- World Domination Summit
- How to Run an Offers and Needs Market
- Asset-based community development (ABCD)
- SimpleREV Local
- How 241 Post It Notes, Candid Stories, and Huggr Power Changed 55 Folks (SimpleREV 2015 Recap) – SASM086
Direct Audio Download for This Episode
How to Support Me, This Show, and Our Community
It doesn't matter if you have thirty seconds or thirty minutes. And it's all good if you support financially, mentally, or another way that feels most appropriate.
If you're already a Smart and Simple Matters listener, get some extra gratitude when you click here to leave me a short iTunes review and help our message spread even further (it's a huge help!).
If you want to help me, the folks who depend upon my creations, and add your support to countless other awesome people in a unique way, click here for the Support page and rock our worlds!
Timestamps and Topics
- [03:58] Defining and contextualizing an Offers and Needs Market (OANM)
- [10:07] Why and where to run or participate in an OANM
- [16:59] My experiences running OANMs
- [31:57] How to run an OANM
- [49:46] Curiosities about virtual OANMs and some final encouraging words
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
I'm Grateful for Your Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate an honest iTunes review right here. Every single rating and review is a huge help, lets others find the show more easily, and generates a ton of gratitude!
Here are the four quick steps to leave an iTunes review (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Click here to visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page.
- Click the blue button on the left labeled "View in iTunes" below the show cover art.
- When iTunes loads, click the navigation tab labeled "Ratings and Reviews" and then click the "Write a Review" button underneath the "Customer Reviews" heading.
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't give it five stars.
Thanks again for your time and attention! And if you have someone or something you’d like me to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.