Why the Future of Work Is Working for Yourself with Stephen Warley – SASM 116
What you need to hear isn't always what you want to hear.
We both know that it can feel really uncomfortable to have your deep-seated assumptions challenged so forcefully. Being steadfast is normally good … but not in the world of work. Not anymore.
My friend and guest for this episode, Stephen Warley at Life Skill That Matter, is here to convince you that self-employment is the safest, most lucrative, and healthiest form of work right now.
(I know. It may sound wild or impossible. Hear him out.)
You've heard stories about jobs being eliminated due to outsourcing, automation, and faceless corporations hacking their workforce because the execs want a bigger bonus. But that's not the whole story of work in the 21st century.
And that's not your fate when you work for yourself and find all the stability, comfort, and fulfillment you need.
Press play to let Stephen challenge your beliefs, offer some real alternatives, and teach you some life skills that seriously matter.
You're about to Learn ...
- How to make big changes without a major crisis forcing them on you.
- Why we learn best when things are hard.
- How to deprogram yourself to take on the “risk” of self-employment.
- Why self-employment is the safest, most lucrative, and healthiest form of work right now.
- How much you really need to earn to support your family and lifestyle.
- Why self-directed learning is an essential life skill that matters.
- When intuitive experimenting yields better results than all the best practices in the world.
- How to control your thoughts without coming across as a robot.
- How to short-circuit your negative self-talk.
- Some of the issues that plague the global education system.
- Why you can stop asking “Where do I start?” in your work, home, and projects.
Resources and Items Mentioned in This Episode
- The Life Skills That Matter Podcast
- Life Skills That Matter Lifestyle Calculator
- Life Skills That Matter Self-Assessment Challenges
Where to Find Stephen Online
Direct Audio Download for This Episode
Timestamps and Topics
- [06:45] How Steven became stuck (again) after shutting down his Unstuckable podcast
- [09:54] Possibilities for a new global education system
- [15:09] The role of self-directed learning in a meaningful life
- [25:55] Why self-employment is the safest, most lucrative, and healthiest form of work right now
- [36:58] Why the world is ready for a tidal wave of the self-employed
- [42:56] Why Steven feels and projects so much certainty with his words
- [53:50] The big questions we're asking ourselves right now
- [51:12] The twelve week Life Skills That Matter self-assessment challenge
Extra Gratitude and Special Mentions
I have some focused gratitude for Patrick who recently sent some euros my way as a token of appreciation for this podcast. That was surprising and fantastic, Patrick!
I receive the tangible nature of your gift and the intangible spirit behind it.
Awesome Ways to Subscribe to the Show
I'm Grateful for Your Reviews!
If you enjoyed this specific episode or the Smart and Simple Matters show in general, I always appreciate an honest iTunes review right here. Every single rating and review is a huge help, lets others find the show more easily, and generates a ton of gratitude!
Here are the four quick steps to leave an iTunes review (assuming iTunes is already installed):
- Click here to visit the Smart and Simple Matters iTunes page.
- Click the blue button on the left labeled "View in iTunes" below the show cover art.
- When iTunes loads, click the navigation tab labeled "Ratings and Reviews" and then click the "Write a Review" button underneath the "Customer Reviews" heading.
- Write a review with whatever title you like, whatever length you have time for, and give the show an honest rating. If you don't think it deserves five stars, don't give it five stars.
Thanks again for your time and attention! And if you have someone or something you’d like me to cover on an upcoming show, tell us in the comments below.